- 3 Tbsp. virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced to 1/4-inch
- 1 each red and yellow pepper,seeded and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 (28 oz. can) Italian plum tomatoes,chopped with juices
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp. chopped parsley, for garnish
Halve the squash lengthwise; discard seeds. Cook, cut side down in a steam basket in 2 inches of water until tender (about 30 minutes). Depending on size, you may do this in two batches; let cool.
Prepare sauce: Place oil in a pot over low heat. Add the onion and peppers. Cook, stirring until softened, about 15 minutes. Add the garlic and oregano; cook 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, paste, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Using a fork, pull out the flesh of the squash (it will form spaghetti like strands) and place in a large bowl. Top with the sauce. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.