Potato Moussaka Casserole
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs. potatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium-sized onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb. ground beef or lamb
- 4 Hungarian peppers, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
Heat 1 cup olive oil in a pan. Fry both sides of thinly sliced potatoes; drain excess oil.
Place potatoes in a 9×13-inch baking dish. In another pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil, sauté onions to brown, add ground meat and sauté all to brown. Add peppers; sauté 2 minutes. Add water, salt, tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes. Pour this mixture over potatoes, gently mixing them in the 9×13-inch baking dish. Cook for 30 minutes in a 350°F oven.
Nutrition Analysis Per Serving: 309 calories; 11g protein; 32g carbohydrates; 5g fiber; 16g fat; .37g trans fatty acids; 26mg cholesterol; 37mg calcium; 2mg iron; 1207mg sodium.