Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas
- 1 lb. tomatillos, husked and washed
- 1 large sweet onion
- 1 small can green chilis, drained
- 1 (16 oz.) can chicken broth
- 4 small chicken breasts, poached, cooled and shredded
- 1 dozen corn tortillas
- Small bunch fresh cilantro, washed and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 lb. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 head shredded lettuce, to serve
Steam tomatillos in saucepan with chicken broth, 1/2 of onion (chopped), garlic and chilies; cook until very soft, allow to cool. Puree in processor until lumpy; add cumin and cook on slow boil until thickened slightly. Soften tortillas, add small amount of shredded chicken to each, roll and place in a baking dish. Pour tomatillo sauce over all; cover with shredded cheese and remaining onion slices. Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 30 minutes until heated through. Serve with shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes and a few slices of raw onion. Two enchiladas with refried beans and rice is a nice portion. Can add 1 or 2 jalapeno peppers with tomatillos if you like spicy food. Can also be prepared in stages.
Nutrition Analysis Per Serving: 426 calories; 36g protein; 41g carbohydrates; 8g fiber; 16g fat; .02g trans fatty acids; 80mg cholesterol; 419mg calcium; 2mg iron; 806mg sodium.