Beef and Cabbage Soup
Serves 6 – 8
- 1 small head of fresh cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced or chopped
- 6 cups tomatoes, peeled and diced (1 qt. canned tomatoes can be used)
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 #1 size (10½ – 12 oz.) can pinto or kidney beans
- 1 can beef broth (can be salty so add salt as needed later)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh basil (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh cilantro (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 2-3 Tbsp. brown sugar, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
In a large pan, put a small amount of oil. Brown ground beef for 3-5 minutes. Add onion, carrots and garlic; cook another 2-3 minutes. Add cabbage, tomatoes, beans and beef broth. At this time, you can add more broth or just plain water to ensure enough liquid to cook the vegetables. If using dried herbs, they can be added at this time. If using fresh, wait until the last 5-10 minutes of cooking time. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low; cover, leaving a slight vent, and cook at least 1 hour, checking liquid and stirring occasionally. Taste and add brown sugar or salt, as desired.
Nutrition Analysis Per Serving: 349 calories; 23g Protein; 35g carbohydrates; 10g fiber; 15g fat; 1g trans fatty acids; 23mg cholesterol; 105mg calcium; 4mg iron; 905mg sodium.